top of page
Foster Care

Tribal Chief Child and Family Services East Society has a number of Foster Care and Kinship Care homes in Frog Lake First Nation, Kehewin Cree Nation as well as off reserve.  Our homes are mandated by the Child, Youth and Family Enhancement Act.



Foster care: temporary family-based care for children who, for their own safety and well-being, cannot stay in their own homes.



Kinship care is one of several placement options in Alberta for children who cannot live with their family because of concerns related to their safety and well-being, such as abuse or neglect.



All kinds of people can make great foster parents:

  • men and women

  • married, single, divorced or widowed

  • from all cultural backgrounds

  • young families or empty nesters

  • may rent or own their own home

  • may be retired or employed outside the home.

If you meet the following criteria, you can apply be a foster parent:

  • You must be a resident of Alberta.

  • Cohabitating applicants must have been in a stable relationship for at least 12 months prior to applying.

  • You must be at least 18 years old. The maximum age will be determined by the best interests of the child.

  • You have not had an additional child in the past 12 months and/or are not currently expecting an additional child thorough pregnancy or adoption.

  • You must be physically and mentally capable of meeting the child’s needs with no major illness or trauma in the past 12 months.

  • You need to have your own residence (with your own address) separate and apart from other caregivers.



  1. Initial contact to get a worker who will be assigned to help you through the process

    • Tribal Chief Child and Family Services

  2. Application including:

    • three personal references

    • medical reference

    • criminal record check including vulnerable sector search

    • intervention record check

  3. Training: You will need to attend 24 hours of caregiver orientation. These classes will give you an overview of what to expect when caring for a foster child, such as child development, special needs of children in care and supports provided to foster parents as well as help you decide if fostering will be a good fit for you and your family.

  4. Home Study: The home study determines if the applicant can provide a safe and suitable home for children and addresses a variety of topics such as family history, parenting skills and home safety.

  5. Licensing: Upon approval, you will be issued a foster home licence and assigned a foster care support worker who will provide ongoing support and training

If you are interested in becoming a home to a child in need, please contact:

Carole Alexander                                             Amanda Moosepayo

Foster Parent Supervisor                               Foster/Kinship Care Recruiter

Frog Lake Sub Office                                       Kehewin Main Office

780-943-2886                                                     780-826-7676


For more information regarding eligibility and requirements, please click on the link below:

bottom of page